Fan culture trumps all when it comes to hyped releases. This week’s global brand collaboration spotlights prove exactly that, with American-French actor Timothée Chalamet breaking through the Fall 2023 noise of the online streetwear sphere with a custom pair of Nike Dunk Lows to promote his upcoming movie, Wonka.
Other drops with booming fan culture behind them this week include Travis Scott’s clothing collection and timepiece with Audemars Piguet, along with Moncler x Rick Owens, which is fronted by some furry boots.
Fall 2023 collection, November 30
On TikTok, “rick owens x moncler” has 2.4 billion views. The joint Instagram post of Rick Owens and Moncler has over 10,700 likes, and #monclerrickowens has 1,894 posts.
- Rick Owens brings his eponymous brand’s gothic, avant-garde imprint to Moncler, producing shaggy and strappy oversized boots, as well as ready-to-wear with buttons and holes that allow for customizable adjustments.
- Moncler’s 70th anniversary has been the most cinematic collaboration of the year, featuring 70 collaborations by seven different designers reinterpreting the Moncler Maya jacket.
- Moncler x Rick Owens is boasting meteoric social media figures thanks to the blockbuster activations across 10 cities in the months leading up to the drop. There was a Huangzhou media light show, a takeover of the Chengdu Tower, and a star-studded London exhibition event that saw superstars Alicia Keys and Little Simz perform.
201,000 Royal Oak timepiece and clothing capsule, December 1
Travis Scott posted a photo promoting the collaboration on Instagram, which garnered over 774,500 likes.The first Instagram post by Audemars Piguet received 64,400 likes, whereas the two non-Cactus Jack-related posts before that received under 10,000 likes.
- Following on from Playstation, Jordan, and Dior collaborations, Cactus Jack joins the luxury timepiece world with an official limited-edition Royal Oak watch and apparel collection.
- As the collection will be sold exclusively through the rapper’s Cactus Jack platform, it suggests this collab is aimed at Travis Scott fans rather than the luxury watch’s current clientele, allowing the company to reach a younger demographic.
- The almost one million likes on Travis Scott’s post about this collaboration prove just how important fan bases are in driving engagement. This tie-up brings star-quality marketing exposure to Audemars Piguet, further strengthening its well-established reputation within the industry.
Dunk Lows to promote the upcoming Wonka movie, with five pairs to be won in the Pure Imagination contest ending December 3.
Timothée Chalamet's post about the limited edition sneakers has over 905,000 likes.
- Elevated movie merchandise is a win for all involved when it is marketed as a collector’s item — only five pairs of the Nike Dunk Lows designed by Wonka protagonist Timothée Chalamet are up for grabs.
- The exceptionally limited stock, along with Chalamet’s involvement, makes these sneakers the secret sauce for marketing the movie, especially as the sneaker world is dominated by young consumers who are likely to watch Wonka.
- For the majority who don't secure a pair of the sneakers, Converse is also releasing funky collaborative footwear to promote the Wonka movie on December 7 — an interesting strategy for the movie to reach young streetwear fans.