What happens when Martine Rose and Kendrick Lamar, two creatives with cult followings, join together on some merchandise? Mighty big price premiums at resale.
Other global collaborations of the week striving to be streetwear holy grail include the three-way return of Nike, Sacai, and Jean Paul Gaultier and an upcoming Prada x Adidas collection, which was teased by Fear of God’s Jerry Lorenzo in some swiftly deleted images.
Nike x Sacai x Jean Paul Gaultier
Details: Nike’s Waffle sneakers, November 22
Social context: There are over 12,700 likes on the joint Instagram post between Jean Paul Gaultier and Sacai. The combined reach of Nike, Sacai, and Jean Paul Gaultier on Instagram alone is 311.9 million.
- Consistent collaboration has breathed new life into Jean Paul Gaultier, helping it break into various consumer markets while maintaining relevance in categories such as streetwear.
- The past drop from the three-way collaborators isn’t being sold at a price premium on StockX currently. Seeing as the new sneakers were posted on Sacai and Jean Paul Gaultier’s Instagram accounts rather than Nike’s, marketing appears to be directed toward the high-fashion crowd rather than sneakerheads.
- Consumer feedback is positive, with many intrigued by the design and combination of leading designers. That said, the shoes aren’t expected to gain cult status.
Martine Rose x The Hillbillies
Details: Merchandise collection for The Hillbillies by Baby Keem and Kendrick Lamar, November 15
Social context: The Martine Rose Instagram post of the rap duo performing in exclusive merchandise has attained 13,100 likes, and the second post has over 2,700. Over on TikTok, videos featuring the words “Martine Rose Hillbillies” have 36.5 million views altogether.
- After Kendrick Lamar wore a Martine Rose x Nike look at the 65th Grammy Awards in February and rapped “Wear Martine when I board jets” in his The Hillbillies track with Baby Keem, an official collaboration was bound to happen.
- The collection sold out quickly, with the jersey football top now listed on eBay for over $800 (5,770 RMB), which is significantly higher than the retail price of $375 (2,700 RMB).
- Martine Rose gains cultural recognition and global reach from joining hands with Kendrick and Baby Keem, whereas the pair, in return, get to create high-fashion merchandise that is instantly holy grail.
Prada x Adidas by Jerry Lorenzo
Details: Leaked collaboration, 2025
Social context: #adidasprada has 1.2 million views on TikTok. The leaked post was deleted by Fear of God creative director Jerry Lorenzo. Back in May, when Prada x Adidas launched football boots, Google Trends showed that the Adidas x Prada Superstar was up 150 percent in search results during its release week.
- After giving the fashion world a chance to glimpse his Instagram post revealing the upcoming 2025 Prada x Adidas collection, Jerry Lorenzo swiftly deleted all the evidence, ultimately leaking his own collab to start stirring the hype.
- In addition to creating anticipation, leaked photos make the launch of the collection a lot more successful. Consumers start to feel acquainted with the products, as though they’re already recognized in streetwear and fashion.
- Despite being spotted wearing unreleased Fear of God x Adidas track pants back in May, Lorenzo hasn’t said anything yet of his Adidas partnership, only stirring whispers of what’s to come. Playing the long game, we see.