One of the world’s largest streetwear conventions took place over the weekend. Founded in 2016, ComplexCon draws tens of thousands of fans from all over the world. Melting Sadness attended its eighth iteration, which was held in Long Beach, California, representing China on the world stage.
In this week’s Chinese brand collaboration spotlight, we analyze Melting Sadness’ partnership with streetwear aficionado Sean Wotherspoon for ComplexCon. Plus, Clot’s newest 20th anniversary release with independent Chinese designer Staffonly, and Louis Vuitton’s announcement that it will be hosting its pre-fall 2024 show in partnership with K11.
Clot x Staffonly
Details: Nine piece collection of clothing and accessories, November 24
Social context: On Weibo, where Clot has 230,000 fans and Staffonly has 2,563, #ClotxStaffonly has 139,000 reads.
- The mainland’s largest streetwear player Clot is betting big on its 20th anniversary celebrations, rolling out a steady stream of collabs that prove its versatility, the latest being with Chinese label Staffonly.
- Clot’s signature Alienegra pattern has been reimagined by Staffonly, allowing the brand to celebrate one of its styles, bringing consumer attention to Clot’s celebrated design while showing support of Chinese talent and culture.
- With the aim of nurturing emerging design talents, Clot’s collection with Staffonly shows how established names are able to offer independent designers a platform to showcase their work and invite new creativity into their own brand at the same time.
K11 x Louis Vuitton
Details: Men’s Pre-Fall 2024 Show at K11 Victoria Dockside, Hong Kong
Social context: Notably high for a brand, K11 has 23,400 followers on Xiaohongshu (Louis Vuitton has 444,000), and #K11 has 6.6 million views on the platform. So far, #LVMenPrefall24 has just 2,475 views.
- One of Hong Kong and mainland China’s leading art-retail corporations, K11 has announced it will be hosting the Louis Vuitton Men’s Pre-Fall 2024 Show in Hong Kong on the Avenue of Stars in partnership with K11 Musea.
- K11 Victoria Dockside and K11 Musea are established cultural-retail destinations – from collaborating with the V&A Museum in 2021 on “The Love of Couture: Artisanship in Fashion Beyond Time” exhibition, to the “City as Studio” exhibit curated by Jeffrey Deitch in 2023. This Louis Vuitton partnership accentuates how the K11 group is positioning itself as a hub of fashion, digital, modern art, and popular culture.
- A project that demonstrates the cultural power of experiential, immersive retail that crosses the art and fashion industries to reach large audiences.
Melting Sadness x Sean Wotherspoon x Round Two
Details: Workshop at ComplexCon 2023, November 18
Social context: Melting Sadness has 17,400 followers on Xiaohongshu. Sean Wotherspoon posted on Instagram to his 1.1 million followers about the collaborative workshop.
- Melting Sadness’ presence at ComplexCon is a powerful move from China’s streetwear industry. The brand collaborated with esteemed American designer Sean Wotherspoon — a global talent synonymous with vibrant sneaker and streetwear collaborations with names like Nike and Adidas.
- ComplexCon attendees could participate in a painting and remaking workshop with Melting Sadness founder Zhang Quan and Wotherspoon, accentuating the artistry that’s present in both of their work.
- Collaboration continues to be at the core of both Wotherspoon and Melting Sadness’ success on the global stage, resulting in expanded reach, innovative creativity, and the opportunity to venture into new markets.