This week in the non-stop global collaboration space, French multinational conglomerate Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton (LVMH) released another capsule collection between two of its brands: Rimowa and Tiffany & Co. The move follows the successful tie-up between Kim Jones and Hennessy X.O., which released sneakers, a couture decanter and a bottle of cognac for Spring 2023.
Observers might expect the two world-famous brands to have enough reach on their own to reliably drive engagement, but the majority of online conversation so far centers on the fact that Rosé of South Korean girl group Blackpink fame was named a Rimowa ambassador just weeks before. Rosé has had zero involvement in this particular launch, proving just how large a role ambassadors can play in boosting a brand’s reputation and attracting consumer attention.
Other global collaborations sparking conversation this week include the Moncler x Pharrell Williams collection dedicated to the great outdoors, and Louis Vuitton’s 350 euro (2,661 RMB) coffee table book with Yayoi Kusama.
Rimowa x Tiffany & Co.
Details: Capsule of jewelry and cabin cases, September 26
- Even though Rimowa and Tiffany are household names in their own right, the real star of this collaboration is Blackpink member Rosé.
- There is relatively high engagement online, but a majority of consumer feedback revolves around Rosé as she was named Rimowa’s brand ambassador two weeks prior. This shows that timing is key when launching collaborative collections.
- The tie-up is another clever business move from LVMH: Both Rimowa and Tiffany operate under the conglomerate.
Moncler x Pharrell Williams
Details: Genius collection, September 22
Social context: On TikTok, “Moncler x Pharrell Williams” has 163,800 likes. The eight Instagram posts on Moncler’s account collectively have over 63,000 likes.
- Thanks to a huge, stellar Milan Fashion Week show and event hosting 5,000 guests, the frequency and rate of social media posts surrounding the release is exceptionally high across most global platforms.
- Engineered by the Moncler Genius platform, the Moncler x Pharrell collection benefits from the star’s acclaim within streetwear and his extensive music and fashion fanbase.
- This is not the first collaboration between the two names. Back in 2010, Pharrell dropped a holy grail line of bulletproof gilet vests that sparked the collaborative magic between them.
Louis Vuitton x Yayoi Kusama
Details: Creating Infinity book, September 29
Social context: #lvxyayoikusama has 217.8 million views on TikTok.
- An ode to the iconic partnership between Louis Vuitton and Yayoi Kusama, which returned earlier this year, Creating Infinity celebrates the artist’s pop culture influence and features commentary from a variety of modern artists and musicians.
- At 350 euros (around $265), the work is a collector’s item and instills both brands with greater cultural capital within the luxury industry.
- The book shows how collaborations can start trends, shape luxury branding, and create culturally-relatable nostalgia in both the art and fashion realms.